Friday, December 21, 2012

Buying a car (the right way) in another state than where I live

Buying a car (the right way) in another state than where I live?
Alright, here's the deal. I currently live in Denmark (Europe). Along with a couple of my friends, I'm planning a road trip type deal for next summer, mainly in CA and the west coast. Obviously we're in need of a vehicle (preferably a mini-van or larger) to get around in. My friends aren't American citizens but I am. The first step would of course be to find a car, which is guess is the least of our problems, but the tricky part would be the whole registration process. I have an ID card, from when I lived with my aunt in PA, with an address on it. So my question is. Is it possible for me to buy a car in California, and get it registered the right way. Without having a permanent address in the state? And if it's possible, how long would it take I've owned a car in the states before, that was registered and insured in my name before, which wasn't very hard, in that incident... Thanks in advance
Buying & Selling - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I believe you have 30 days to register the car. So, if your roadtrip is less than 30 days I wouldn't brother registering, but try to sell it quick. Just keep the pink slip/bill of sale with you. If you get stopped by the police then say and show you just bought the car. There maybe a $15 transfer fee. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm The insurance is a different matter. Don't know if your insurance will cover it. Check with them.





Read more discussions :

Search News