Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What happens in Denmark when someone dies? I am an heir in Canada and do not know how to proceed. Please help

What happens in Denmark when someone dies? I am an heir in Canada and do not know how to proceed. Please help!?
Does the estate automatically go to the Danish court to be divided according the will or must one hire a lawyer (I am afraid I would not be able to afford one)? Will I be informed officially by the court? Or if not by the court, by whom? Thus far I have only heard from a distant relative about the passing of the family member in question. The distant relative who informed us also does not live in Denmark and also does not speak any worthwhile Danish. Unfortunately my Danish is as good as non-existent and I am not aware of the procedure that takes place after someone passes. There is a will in place, but it does not list me by name because it was drafted before my birth. Rather, I am one of the heirs included in the blood line of direct descendants, between whom the estate is supposed to be divided according to the will. How would I be found here in Canada and by whom? Please advise. Mange, mange tak !!!! The executor of the will has passed away many years ago. Thank you for your advice.
Law & Ethics - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well, you could begin by calling the Danish Embassy in the nearest large city to you and ask for their assistance in the matter. Perhaps they'll just advise you to get an attorney, and perhaps they will be of more help than that---the Danes are a wonderful, sensible people.
2 :
When the deceased wrote the will he must have named an enforcer. Call the distant relative and try and get info if she has contacts with other relatives in denmark. I think it could be better also in respect for the dead if you travelled to denmark and pay your respects then start talking about the will. If you think you have some thing to inherit them borrow money an travel to Denmark. It makes it easy for the system if you went there. Because if the government has to look for resources just to find you, they may make you pay for it and it could be more expensive than if you went. Enforcer of the will it maybe a lawyer or another family member will use money to look for you and all that is work. You may not need a lawyer as distance descendant you dont need to been named if the will said something like this... Tf tom dies them his descendants get the money and if he does not it goes to his brothers children.





Read more discussions :

Search News