Tuesday, August 14, 2012

US citizen, help with obtaining a residence permit to Denmark and attending the University of Copenhagen

US citizen, help with obtaining a residence permit to Denmark and attending the University of Copenhagen?
I am currently a citizen of the United States, where I was born in and have lived for the majority of my life. I am wishing to attend the University of Copenhagen (Københavns Universitet) and work part-time while doing so after I finish high school. I also plan on living and working in Denmark permanently and shall eventually apply for citizenship (even being aware of the fact that I will lose my citizenship to the United States). My biggest problem is only being able to find information for students who are staying in Denmark to go to the University, but then return home, which is not at all what I intend. When could I and how can I apply for permanent residence to Denmark? How should I go about being admitted to the school since I am staying in Denmark rather than ever returning to the United States? Then my last question remains, since I'm going to stay in the country, I am not certain entirely on how to go about with my admission as all I can find on the university's website is information for students who are just going there to study and then return home and also the information for Danish students, but nothing concerning those who wish to come from another country to live and work there permanently even after finishing their time at the university. If it is of any use, the official website of Københavns Universitet... http://www.ku.dk/english/
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Before you can study in Denmark you are required to have a residence permit, these are granted for the duration of your studies and it is also valid for additional 6 months after you complete your studies. This is to allow you to look for work in Denmark. As you are (or should be) aware that as international student in Denmark you are only permitted to work 15 hours a week, as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August. The same applies during the 6 month period after the completion of your educational studies. A work permit sticker will be placed in your passport. If you are offered a job during this 6 month period you must then apply for a work permit. A residence permit with a view to permanent residence is granted primarily to refugees and persons who have been reunited with their family. If you have been granted a residence permit with a view to permanent residence, you may obtain an unlimited residence permit after some years, provided that you have made an effort to become integrated into Danish society, and that you satisfy a number of specific requirements. Among other things, you may not owe debts above a certain amount to public authorities or have committed serious criminal offences. If you require more information then visit the Danish Immigration website found below. Edit in light of your additional details: The information that you are seeking will not be found on the universities' website as they have no legal right to grant or deny work permits or give foreign citizens the permission to stay - this decision is solely in the hands of the Danish Immigration Service and their website can be found below. You would apply for admission as an international student to the University of Copenhagen in the same manner outlined on their website regardless of if it is your intention to leave or to remain in that country once your studies have been completed.





Read more discussions :

Search News