Saturday, July 7, 2012

I want to get married in Denmark

I want to get married in Denmark?
Okay, I'm an American, but right now I'm living in Denmark while going to school. I also live with my fiance, who I've been with for 5 years come February 2nd. We plan on getting married in about a year and a half, maybe 2 years, when I turn 24 and when he's done with his school. I know that in Denmark it's not really legal to get married outside, but I'm an atheist and my fiance is a member of a church, but he's not really a believer. I figure we'll need to go to a justice of the peace and get a marriage license, but what all do I need to expect? I would like to go ahead and have an outdoor wedding with a party, even though we'll already technically be "married". Can someone give me some advice? I live in Holbæk, so I'll probably get married around this area.
Denmark - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Dear, You must married that person who is belive on GOD other vis you are doing wrong.Why are you want to marry that person who is a pagan.
2 :
Hi there from a Canadian who used to live in DK. I guess you know that Danes like their traditions. Go ahead and have an outdoor event after you have a private legal ceremony. Why not? If you wait and do it in the US, then you can have it any way you like. It's hard to go against the grain in Denmark because everyone expects you to do things like everyone else does. Tillykke!
3 :
I've heard about couple (here in Denmark) who had the mayor (or someone from the city council) marry them in a train legally, so it should be possible to get married outside (however not through the church) I found a web page about it, but it's in Danish. If you need translating, you are welcome to write me: http://www.festleksikon.dk/vis/52.html
4 :
Go to Holbaek's city council. they can advise you and get a judge to marry you. not straight away of course but a lot of danes do that if they don't have a religion.






Read more discussions :

Search News